Monday 31 October 2016

Rebecca with America part 4 ( Food in LA)



FOOD

I am a foodie and now not only I just enjoy eating but lately I have developed my interest in cooking as well. Cooking makes me feel really productive. Anyway. To foodies I know there is nothing more thrilling than trying new food items and so in America, I also used to get excited every time I got a chance to try new food.

Pakistanis are in hunt of only Pakistani food in any foreign country they travel to because we Pakistanis like desi spicy food. Without spices there is no life in cooking. In fact, desi people don’t enjoy their meal until their nose starts running and eyes getting all teary. *sniff sniff*. The other problem that is faced by Muslims in non-Muslim countries is every time you have to make sure if you are dining out, you must not order any pork or bacon or anything that is haram. Now this really is a big trouble because not every restaurant there serves chicken recipes.

Starting from where the food struggle began: the plane. God saves us from the meal they serve in airplanes! No matter how expensive and good the airline is, food they serve is never ever tasty. Not even for once, mistakenly. Travelling USA all the way from Pakistan is a really long journey and it becomes terrible when your stomach cringes of hunger. I only preferred juices and desserts every time they served us the brunch. Sometimes even the sweet doesn’t taste good. So overall the entire plane journey is very torturing.

After landing in LA, it was almost 12 in the midnight and I especially was so hungry but I didn’t think it would be okay to tell my uncle that I was hungry. When we reached home, it was nice of him to offer us some pizza and doughnuts. I could have eaten a whole box of pizza and more than one doughnuts because first of all both of them were so very yummy and secondly I was very hungry obviously. The doughnuts were from Yum Yum donuts. Throughout my trip I wanted to eat those doughnuts one more time but I felt shy of asking anyone there to buy me doughnuts. This wish of mine was left an unfulfilled wish. Now if I talk about Pizza there, Gina’s pizza and California Pizza Kitchen known as CPK’s pizzas were the best, also the pasta. Besides American food we got to eat Chinese, Persian and Mexican food out of which Mexican was THE WORST FOOD. The more I fled from this food, the more I had to eat it. Whenever any of my family members had to take us for Mexican food, I couldn’t resist them. Mexican cuisine included Tacos, Nachos, and Burritos and there are so many food items that I don’t know about their names but they sure tasted really unpleasant to me.


Chinese food there was the real Chinese food. Not like the one we eat here in Pakistan. Persian food was more or less same as that of Pakistani food so that one was my favorite too.There is a restaurant there which is very famous for selling an extra ordinary tasty burger. We tried that too but it just didn’t satisfy me as much as I heard from people. The burger was good but not thaaaat good.  

Chick-fil-A!! This was one of my favorites although I didn’t get to eat much of its food just the French fries and an Oreo shake and I am a big fan of Chick-fil-A because of both these things. The best thing about dining in restaurants is the waiters don’t let your glass stay empty. They refill your drink until you tell them to stop. We were allowed to refill our glasses as many times as we want but they don’t charge us for the refills we do. Coming to desi food i.e. Pakistani and Indian food. There was a Pakistani restaurant that served really yummy food. Spicy biryani, tasty nihari, mouth-watering qorma and many other items so whenever any gathering takes place in someone’s home, they order food from that restaurant and I can tell you out of all the foods we enjoyed this restaurant’s food or you can just say that the hotel was being run through us only. :D


Artesia is place, basically a mini India with Indian shops and restaurants where 95 percent Indian community is found. Evening snacks like Gol Gappa, Chhola Chaat, Bhel puri, Chhola Bhatura are served very delicious there. All kinds of sweets, icecream and falooda, rasmalai etc. Pakora samosas are considered must with evening tea.
Potato chips, biscuits, toffess and even the ice cream did not match the Pakistani taste. They were totally different which I did not enjoy. God knows which taste is the real one.
In the end I must say cakes there are very pretty and tasty.
J

No comments:

Post a Comment